On the south bank is the area known as the Gorbals. In medieval times it was known as Little Govan and Bridgend after the 1345 bridge. It was still quite village-like until the late 18th century when new urban areas were developed. The Georgian terraces of Carlton Place are a good example.
At the beginning of the 19th century, with the city growing fast it would have seemed obvious to develop housing for merchants on the south bank where they would abut the ancient settlement of the Gorbals at the south end of the city’s old bridge. All were developments in a grid plan parts of which survive although many of the original buildings have long gone and the area has been much broken up by subsequent bridge, rail and road developments.
Tradeston developed during the 1790s, Hutchesontown developed under the auspices of Hutchesons’ Hospital between 1790 and 1813 and Laurieston was an ambitious entrepreneurial venture by Glasgow merchant, James Laurie, from 1802-18. He planned to call all the streets after members of the English aristocracy; Carlton Place referred to the home of the then Prince Regent, subsequently George IV.
There has now been massive investment in new development in the Gorbals.